Sunday 18 November 2012

Twyford Down


Looking south towards Twyford from Twyford Down

A pleasant afternoon walking on Twyford Down today, when the sinking sun and a convenient bonfire set up this classic little landscape scenario for me.  I wasn't going to say no, was I?  Those oddly flat green surfaces are greens on the outer edge of the Hockley golf course.  In summer, this walk can be hazardous.

It's a little known fact, despite the best efforts of Winchester City Council's Tourist Information department, that Keats was staying in Winchester in autumn 1819, and wrote his Ode to Autumn (you know the one, "Season of mists and mellow fruitfuness", and all that) after repeating a daily walk along the River Test out to the mediaeval hospital at St. Cross.  In other words, he walked through the water meadows that lie on the western side of St. Catherine's Hill.

I doubt a man in his terminal condition would make an attempt on the hill itself, but it's a pleasant thought, and yet another layer on the story I'm telling myself about the area.  And did those feet...

4 comments:

Martin said...

Quite a number from my family tree have left shoe leather across that area, Mike. My grandmother would tell us a story about how her own great grandfather (a shepherd) was murdered, thereabouts.

Mike C. said...

Murdered, eh? That would be in, what, the 1860s? Have you ever followed that up?

Mike

Martin said...

He was still alive in 1881, aged 50. No, I've never looked into it, but probably should.

Mike C. said...

You should indeed, that sounds like an interesting project (starting with a death certificate and a trawl through the local papers -- try www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk to start with).

Mike