Friday 21 October 2011

Stage Sets

Since the start of the new academic year, I've begun doing two "old" things again: walking to work, and carrying the Panasonic LX3. These are not unconnected, obviously -- even compared to a GF1, the LX3 is so light I can forget it's round my neck, but it's right there when the bright, low autumn light transforms the scene at around 8:00 am into a stage set.





The LX3 also has a way with colour and tone in contrasty scenes that is quite special and can sometimes seem a little supernatural. The camera does have a Leica lens, of course. It's certainly not my impeccable technical mastery that is capturing that full range of tones from deep shadow to bright highlight -- I'm simply underexposing a bit, and taking my reading from the brighter part of the scene. Simple stuff.

I also like the way three different image aspect ratios can be selected by a simple twist of a switch on the lens barrel. A curiosity of the LX3 is that all three ratios are crops of the "full" image sensor: you get your 10-ish megapixel image cut out of an 11-ish megapixel sensor ( 3968 x 2232 pixels at 16:9, 3648 x 2736 pixels at 4:3, and 3776 x 2520 pixels at 3:2). The idea is that the same angle of view is maintained, with each ratio getting a much more similar overall pixel count than you'd get from a crop of a "full sensor" image. Brilliantly eccentric. You just have to wonder how they got it past the marketing guys ("Um, explain that bit about the angle to me again?").


2 comments:

Graham Dew said...

Mike,

As ever, nice images!

If you care to install firmware V2.1 or V2.2 you also get the 1:1 ratio format, although that is a crop (making the 24mm focal length 28mm, according to Lightroom). I love this feature of the LX3, and often find myself flipping between my favourite 1:1 (which I set quickly through the custom C1 mode) and all the other ratios. I rarely need to crop post-exposure these days because of this. I don’t know why this is not a more common feature – AFAIK only the LX3/LX5 and Panasonic GH1/GH2 have this multi-aspect sensor – everyone else offers cropped images. You’re right – how did something so useful and so unconventional make it to a final product?

Mike C. said...

Thanks, Graham -- I did update my firmware, but have never used the 1:1, I much prefer to use 4:3 and crop square.

One of these days someone will really break the mould and make a square sensor camera, so that the 1:1 is the optimum "full sensor" image, and the others are crops of it! Be good to hear them pitch that to their bosses...

Mike