Monday 14 June 2010

Boundary Elements

Here is a Blurb version of the book of "square" images, the genesis of which I described in the post Aleatory Arrangements. I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out, though as always there is scope for improvement and changes of mind. One of the joys of on-demand self-publishing is having the liberty to scrap or revise editions at will, something no "true" publisher would ever allow.

Obviously, what chance began I have finished. In the process of editing the sequence down to a sensible 120 pages I have made new choices which seemed, to my eye, to work better. But, although some of the rhymes and rhythms have been reworked, the underlying thrust is still chronological from January 2009 to June 2010, with the emphasis on the "liminal" seasons and moods.






If you would like to buy a copy, I do recommend the upgrade to premium paper (matte).

7 comments:

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

Mike,

Very nice book; inspirational, as seeing your "square abstractions" has gotten me to start doing more abstract images, but to break away from the rectangle, as well.

I like the "sheep", below, a lot, though somewhat ambivalent about the "frame". Go figure.

Mike C. said...

Thanks, Bron -- on matters of framing, of course, I defer to you... I had meant to recreate that 19th c. "stereo card" look, but couldn't get the curve right, so used a simple circular arc, which has hacked off more than I'd intended.

I need to make a better template...

Mike

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

I think you've done quite well at the 19th. c. feel.

Bron

Dave Leeke said...

I can't comment on the technical stuff but am interested to see a, possibly ironic, "porpa" as the verification word.

I'm always amazed at how some people can get to grips so easily with digital technology - I realise the possible benefits of it but often can't seem to get it to work at all.

Mike C. said...

You're going to have to explain the significance of "porpa", Sir, or get back your marking.

Dave, I've been using computers in one form or another since 1978, and using digital imaging and DTP software since the late 80s -- "easily" has nothing to do with it... (I'm thinking of Mae West's retort to someone who exclaimed, "Goodness, what beautiful diamonds!" -- "Goodness had nothing to do with it, my dear...")

Mike

Bronislaus Janulis / Framewright said...

Dave,

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is sometimes amused by word verification:

now. a photographic one:

bokeh, spelled: booka

Has it been almost a 1/4 of a century since that Mac Plus ... aaaghhh!!!

Kent Wiley said...

Very impressive book, Mike. Good to see some of my favorites from the past year are included. You've been busy...Thanks for sharing.