Sunday 7 June 2009

A Steady Hand

Two pictures from mornings this week: a campus window reflecting the hoarding around the building site of the new Biological Sciences building, and the hoarding around the building site reflecting some windows.

While trying to hold the camera steady for the second image (which, the data tells me, was taken at 1/3 sec at f/4.5, ISO 200 -- proof of the efficacy of good technique and image stabilised lenses) a campus security guard came up behind me and wanted to know why I was photographing a bin. I ignored him, but he persisted. I don't think he was reassured to be told that I was actually photographing a chalk mark, but I look sufficiently mad (especially when I smile with my newly extracted front tooth) for him to go away.

I do hope this isn't a straw in the wind, though. It's bad enough that real police are developing a bad attitude towards photographers, without dorkish overweight jobsworths dressed up in stab jackets and flat hats joining in. If this happens again -- as a hobbyist contrarian and just to be provocative -- I might just be tempted to start photographing them... What would one call such a series? "The Thick Blue Line?" "A Few Fat Men?" Hmmm...




1 comment:

Mauro Thon Giudici said...

Remarkable even with image stabilization. But more than the technique I'm progressively appreciating your reflexions and transparency theme.

Mauro